Although our firm currently concentrates on employment law, over the course of our careers we have litigated a wide range of complex legal matters in other areas, principally but not exclusively in the entertainment and media industries. For instance, we have been retained by creators, producers, writers, designers, performers and managers to handle major disputes and negotiations concerning book and magazine publishing, theatre, film, talent agencies, photography, broadcasting and internet marketing and development. Clients have included the authors of Dirty Dancing, Tony n’ Tina’s Wedding, Menopause the Musical and Shear Madness, the Tony award-winning producer of Death of a Salesman, Long Day’s Journey Into Night and I Am My Own Wife on Broadway, the dancer/choreographer Peter Gennaro, the business manager of Michael Bennett, classical violinists and high-end art photographers.
Accordingly, despite our current focus on executive compensation matters, we continue to handle entertainment litigation and other commercial litigation and business transactions on a selective basis when we and the prospective client are confident that we are the right match for them and their high stakes challenges.
Here are a few of the other diverse matters with which we’ve been entrusted and which, according to our clients, have yielded highly satisfactory outcomes:
- We collected significant contractual damages from two Canadian steel manufacturers on behalf of a client in the metals trading industry.
- We litigated over the terms and enforcement of a complex letter of credit transaction involving international shipments of raw materials.
- We successfully represented a major manufacturer in product liability actions; in one case we obtained a defense verdict from a jury despite the plaintiff’s severe burn injuries.
- We proved that an opposing party was relying on a forged arbitration agreement and thereby defeated the underlying claim against our manufacturer client.
- We have handled sales and acquisitions in the publishing and film industries.
- We also have served as expert witnesses in legal malpractice cases.
We bring to bear all that we have learned from these wide-ranging legal involvements to every new matter we take on. If you’d like to explore your legal needs to determine if we can help, please call us at (646) 861-2410.